The coronavirus pandemic that has engulfed Lithuania and the world and the subsequent quarantine, have had an effect on quite a number of cultural summer events. The long-anticipated programme of the festival could not be implemented in May, yet once the first restrictions were moved, we decided not to wait for another spring, and find the solution – to organise a summer dance programme for the first time in the history of the festival, and present it to its faithful fans.
The international Aerowaves programme was introduced through the exceptional dance performances in quite unusual places of Vilnius, Kaunas and Kaunas District.
The work by a young Czech artist Viktor Černický Pli was introduced free of charge for the audience in the house of the Presidential Palace and in Raudondvaris Manor, the Neighbourhood Park, Kaunas District.
The stairs of MO museum in Vilnius and Mykolas Žilinskas Art Gallery offered a stage for the work of a Hungarian choreographer Máté Mészáros, a dynamic piece that explores the distance between the bodies, the Mechanics of Distance.
Work-in-progress, a programme of Lithuanian artists, was introduced in the terrace of MO museum.
In winter, we prepared another unusual gift for our fans, a programme of dance films by 11 foreign and Lithuanian creators. They could be seen from the comfort and warmth of one’s home in December 2020 on LRT and in its Mediateka streaming site, in 15min portal and the website of the festival.
The programme featured 11 dance films: three of them were by foreign creators, eight by Lithuanians, and even six of the latter ones were premieres:
– Joint work by Akram Khan and the group from the English National Ballet – one of the most wonderful romantic ballets of times, Giselle.
– The Great Ghosts, created by the famous French circus artist Yoann Bourgeois.
– Hofesh Shechter’s Clowns, a dance film by a UK-based director, choreographer and composer Hofesh Shechter.
– A movie by Vilma Pitrinaitė Somaholidays.
– Thicket, a film shot during the quarantine by Marius Paplauskas.
– Under the Skin by Šeiko Dance Theatre.
– Artificial by Dovilė Petkūnaitė.
– MA 108 short dance film by Erika Vizbaraitė.
– Game Over, a film inspired by the famous performance, and created by Low Air, Vilnius City Dance Theatre.
– Sakura Dream (In the Realm of Spirits) by dance theatre Okarukas.
– A dance movie by Raimonda Gudavičiūtė M(e)&M(other).